Friday, June 13, 2008

NI Unionists investigated for 'homophobia'

Briefing.

From LifeSite, via CFNess: Almost exactly a year after Irish Democrat Ian Paisley Jr. was investigated and censured for a 'breach of his ministerial pledge of office' over statements against homosexuality, Britain's homosexualist lobby has unleashed its fury against Northern Ireland's Democratic Unionist Party MP Iris Robinson. Robinson made the remarks that put her on the wrong side of the homosexualist movement during a radio interview when she was asked about a violent attack that had recently taken place in Belfast. Stephen Scott, 27, was attacked last Wednesday and suffered head and leg injuries. Police have said that the attack was 'homophobic' in nature.

The MP responded by condemning the attack against Scott. She also, however, condemned homosexuality as being immoral and suggested that Scott should seek therapy for his sexual preferences. 'I have a very lovely psychiatrist who works with me in my offices and his Christian background is that he tries to help homosexuals trying to turn away from what they are engaged in,' said Robinson. 'And I have met people who have turned around to become heterosexual. ' 'Homosexuality is not natural. My Christian beliefs tell me that it is an abomination and that is very clear. 'It is an offence to God, an offensive act and something that God abhors.'

She concluded, 'My Christian beliefs tell me to love the sinner but hate the sin, so I condemn the people who went out and kicked that gay man. 'I am clearly not saying that I want people to thrash the living daylights out of a homosexual man or women, because I don't. '

Homosexual rights activists in Northern Ireland responded by making a complaint to the police, which police confirm they are following up on. John O'Doherty, a member of the South Belfast District Policing Partnership, filed the official complaint. 'People like Mrs. Robinson need to learn that their comments have consequences,' said O'Doherty.

The Guardian also reported that the extremist homosexual activist group OutRage! has issued a call for homosexuals to publicly 'out' any homosexual members of the Democratic Unionist party that they may have had sex with as revenge for Robinson's remarks. According to The Guardian, OutRage! said it would be 'entirely justified' to publicly 'out' closet homosexuals in the party. 'We have always supported the protection of people's privacy who lead a double life, where they are gay but maybe still have a family,' said David Allison, a spokesman for OutRage! 'However in circumstances where you are a member of a political party which openly espouses homophobia than we think it is entirely justifiable that members of that party be outed. '

Jeffrey Donaldson, also a member of the Democratic Unionist Party, defended Robinson's right to speak her beliefs. 'This is a country where people have freedom of speech,' said Donaldson. 'If someone has made a complaint then the matter will be investigated. I don't believe that Iris has broken any law so I don't believe the police investigation will lead to anything. ' Robinson, a Christian, is the wife of Northern Ireland's new First Minister Peter Robinson, who has come to his wife's defense, while reaffirming his commitment to ensuring that Northern Ireland remains discrimination free. 'As far as the equality issues are concerned there is a legal obligation within the office of First and Deputy First Minister to ensure that no-one in our society is discriminated against,' First Minister Robinson said in response to a question from Naomi Long of the Alliance Party . 'I have to say even if there was no legal obligation I would be at the forefront defending anyone who was being discriminated against and I know my colleague, the member for Strangford (Mrs Robinson), would be alongside me in that. 'It is absolutely essential as far as this community is concerned that there is equality for people. 'Equality of opportunity should be at the forefront of all of our minds on all of these issues. '

A year ago Ian Paisley Jr. was investigated in Norther Ireland after he told HotPress magazine, 'I am pretty repulsed by gay and lesbianism. I think it is wrong. I think that those people harm themselves and - without caring about it - harm society. ' He continued, 'That doesn't mean to say that I hate them. I mean, I hate what they do. ' [LifeSiteNews]

No comments:

Pope Leo XIII's Prayer to St Michael

Holy Michael, Archangel, defend us in the day of battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do thou, Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, thrust down to Hell Satan, and all wicked spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen