The Nine First Friday and the Five First Saturday Devotions
- The institution of a Holy Hour in memory of His Agony in the Garden of Gethsemane (St Margaret Mary was asked to do this from 11pm to midnight on Thursday nights; a practice we could imitate).
- A Communion of Reparation to be received on the First Friday of each month.
- A Feast in honour of His Sacred Heart, to be kept on the Friday after the octave of Corpus Christi.
- Consecration to His Sacred Heart.
- I will give them all the graces necessary for their state of life.
- I will establish peace in their homes.
- I will console them in all their afflictions.
- I will be their secure refuge during life and especially at the hour of death.
- I shall bestow abundant blessings on all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and ocean of infinite mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall rise rapidly to a high degree of perfection.
- I will bless every place where an image of my Sacred Heart shall be exposed and honoured.
- I will give to priests the power to touch the hardest hearts.
- Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, never to be blotted out.
- I promise you in the excessive mercy of My Heart, that My all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Communion on the First Friday of every month, for nine consecutive months, the grace of final repentance, and that they shall not die without receiving the Sacraments, and that My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in that last moment.
Sister Lucia was asked by her confessor, Father Gonçalves, why Our Lady had asked for five First Saturdays, and not any other number. It was Sr Lucia's habit to make a holy hour from eleven in the evening to midnight, especially on Thursday evenings, according to the requests of the Sacred Heart of Jesus at Paray-le-Monial. On the night of May 29-30, 1930, she put Fr Gonçalves' question to Our Blessed Lord and received the following answer:-
"My daughter, the reason is simple. There are five types of offenses and blasphemies committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary:
- Blasphemies against the Immaculate Conception.
- Blasphemies against Her Perpetual Virginity.
- Blasphemies against Her Divine Maternity, in refusing at the same time to recognize Her as the Mother of men.
- The blasphemies of those who publicly seek to sow in the hearts of children indifference or scorn, or even hatred of this Immaculate Mother.
- The offenses of those who outrage Her directly in Her holy images.
An excellent little booklet giving more information about Fatima and the First Saturdays is “The Rosary and the Crisis of Faith – Fatima and World Peace” by Msgr Joseph Cirrincione and Thomas A Nelson (TAN books ISBN 0-89555-306-6)See here for more on Devotion to Our Lady's Immaculate Heart.